94.7×7 – The final day

Hi All
947 x 7 on Beer and Bread is complete!
First the bad point. I did not make all seven days and finished with 947 x 6.
 On the Tuesday I felt very low and thought seriously about whether I had taken a step too far in the Back To Basics. Wednesday and Thursday got my mind and body on track. Friday was a fabulous Qhubeka ride and Saturday was an awful day with 95km done at 16kph into a huge headwind all day.
Sunday, race day, Bianca and I had camped at the Riversands start venue and had a great evening in the Craft Beer Bar before taking an early night. We rose early, 04h00, due to the PA system being tested. No problem, an early coffee and breakfast of dragon toast and egg. Fine food for racing. Bianca’s start on her restored Zini was at 07h30 so she left me to stew in camp for another two hours for my start.

The bikes waiting for the start at the camp site.

The bikes waiting for the start at the camp site.

My legs felt good and all the pre-race hype had been about how tough and hilly the course was, so I predicted a time of around five and a quarter hours at an average speed of 18 kph which would have made it one of the fastest days of this trip. I also had a plan! The plan was to start right at the back of my group and hitch a slipstream from any big guys in front of me. No shame.
What I wanted was to try and get the Qhub into a TRAIN of big guys and get my power from Beerade and cheese sandwiches without getting out of my BRAIN.
In short, I wanted to not get ” Out of my Brain on the Train in 5h15″. Free Guinness to the first person to tell me who sung that song?
The Momentum 947 turned out to be one of the strongest and fastest rides I have done on a Qhubeka. The route was significantly easier than expected and not even one “Walkies” was needed. True, the short pull up off Louis Botha near Houghton was bordering on pushing but every time I passed a Cervelo or Pinarello I got a fab mental boost.
Another long pull was up to Randburg but by latching on to one big guy after another I managed to pass hundreds of riders over the last 40 ks.
One exciting section was the roll down past the Lion Park where I pedalled furiously, slipstreamed everyone I could and got the Qhub up to 69 kph. Most interesting experience.
Another Qhubeka rider, Bradley, rode on and off with me and also helped pull me along.
In the end I finished in 4 hours 36 mins at 20.6 kph! Almost 45 mins ahead of schedule and the Guinness  and cheese sandwich were great.

Bianca in Qhubeka kit trying to figure out how to put on road shoes.


The restored classic steel frame Zini.


Dilemma – race or craft beer?

Thanks to all who gave their support for another adventure on a Qhubeka.
Colin and Bianca

Leave a Reply